A single mom's musings about life, kids, and crochet.... mainly crochet.

Monday, May 07, 2012

Octopi - who would've thought?

Last week I posted about the octopus I made for my daughter. She took it to school with her and her substitute teacher literally went bananas over it. Said she would pay me to make some for her. Pay me? For something I enjoy doing? Can you believe it has never crossed my mind to charge people for the things I make?


Anyway, it was a good idea, but I wasn't totally happy with the pattern. I tried another and ended up with this:

It's cute, but came out a lot smaller than I expected. The original pattern calls for two strands of yarn and a K hook. I used some leftover RedHeart and either a G or an H (can't remember now). I really liked how the legs worked up in this pattern moreso than in the other, but there was no direction on actually closing the bottom. So anyway, I took the two patterns and morphed them a bit to work together and came up with this cutey:

In the end though, I ended up not following any patterns precisely and ended up selling her this orange one and four others and no two of them were the same. Needless to say, it was an interesting experience and I've received lot's of positive feedback from people saying I should either open up my own Etsy shop or do the local Saturday markets. We'll see. I'm still learning the fine art of amigurumi and having fun with it.

Here's another one without the googly eyes. I don't care much for the eyes like this, but I really like where it's sitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment