A single mom's musings about life, kids, and crochet.... mainly crochet.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Toddler shrug

So my friend and I were having a conversation a few weeks ago about the difference between crochet and knitting. She's recently learned to knit but doesn't crochet and I have been crocheting for years, but couldn't knit to save my life.  Anyhow, she mentioned that she'd really like a shrug for her daughter but would like it crocheted because it seems easier to get a "lacy" look with crochet. I decided to take on the project. I haven't made a shrug in years. I looked around through all of my pattern books and tons of patterns online and just didn't find one I liked so I decided to try and design one myself.

This book has been invaluable in helping me figure out what I wanted to do. I really like the net stitch when I want to give something that light and lacy look, but since this was going to be for a toddler I wanted it to be just a bit more sturdy so on page 34 I found directions for the "Lily Net Stitch". The back panel turned out beautiful.
I'll also be adding some ribbed cuffs with a picot edge and I think once I get the arms sewn up I'll do a picot edge around the opening. Writing a pattern is a lot more work than I thought it would be. I have crossed out and frogged so many times I almost gave up on writing it. Once it's done I'll post it here and on Ravelry.com for people to test it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment